These are my scarves...
I have collected them during our time in Singapore. It started with a purchase of one on the beach in Bali, then became something I picked up in every place we visited. It also transformed itself into gifts from friends when they traveled.
While I love that I have scarves from over 14 countries, what I love most about my scarves is that they each have a story.
I've been thinking a lot lately about our story, my story, and the story I want to live. I've wanted to freeze my story in order to hold onto something special, I've wanted to rewrite moments, live some over again, and forget some even happened. I will admit, I have also wanted to leave my story and live someone else's for awhile.
But that's not possible.
The thing is, I really like my story. No. I love my story. I love it because it's mine and it's ours, together. I feel like our marriage and parenthood have provided for a lot of changes in our story, because in truth, our lives have changed significantly every 2 or 3 years since Adam and I have been together. Buying homes, moving states, having children, changing jobs, moving countries. It's no wonder I feel our story is always changing (and I'm always tired).
Our story will change again in 10 days as we prepare to move back to the states. If I think of my life in chapters, one is definitely about to close. While I'm ready for the wrap up, I begin the next chapter with excitement, anticipation and nervousness. One of my dearest friends asked me, "do you think life will calm down and you'll be able to feel settled?" I honestly didn't know how to answer that. If I reread my story over the last two years, it has been FILLED with constant change. Work changes, living changes, cultural changes, traveling...you get it. I think part of me is afraid of this next chapter going on and on and on.
But then, I read about and listen to other people's stories. I like that a lot. I like to listen and I really love to learn. In the places I've been and through the people I've met, I have learned with certainty that we ALL have a common thread to our stories.
We all want to love and to be loved.
Simplistic, sure. Reality, yes.
I have met people with nothing and people with (what seems to be) everything and it's all the same. Stories unfold a little easier and a little gentler when you have love and are loved.
I don't know what the rest of our story holds, but I do know that it's been a pretty great ride so far. I am so thankful for this chapter in Singapore. So thankful. It has brought on emotions I never knew I had (poor Adam) and it's tested us in ways we never imagined. It has been a gift to see this side of the world and learn about other cultures. I cherish the friends that we have made and I will always, always have a special place in my heart for Singapore.
In 10 days, the page will turn and this chapter will come to a close. Emotion is starting to set in as I realize that yes, I am a little sad for it to end. I've loved the adventure, curiosity, excitement and newness that has come with this chapter.
But the new chapter holds much excitement too. I'm afraid the story will slow down, and I'm finding space to be okay with that. Sometimes slow chapters are a good thing. If paired with a margarita, they can be a great thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment