Sunday, May 5, 2013

Stamford PTA Gala

I'm home today with severe back/shoulder pain. Wish I could say it's from all the dancing I did Saturday night, but the truth is that I had Advil to ease the pain so I could dance. That said, I'm sure the heels I wore did not make things better. I saw the doctor yesterday, got some pain medicine and muscle relaxers, and today I'm going to try acupuncture. Some people swear by it, some say it doesn't work at all. We'll see. I need some sort of relief as the pain meds are too rough on my body.

Here are some pics from the fun we had Saturday night. The purpose of this event was to raise money for grade level charities. SAIS is a "for-profit" school, which means that no money raised from events can go back to the school. It all has to go to charities. Our grade level's charity is a school called Child at Street 11. They offer free schooling for local students who cannot afford regular local schools. Local schools here still charge a tuition for books, materials, etc. leaving some families unable to afford schooling at all. We have kids from this school visit our school once each month. Students play literacy based games with them, read to them, etc. The school is literally bursting at the seams with kids. The teachers are mostly volunteers and all supplies come from donations. So far this year, our PTA events have raised over $30,000 for this school! Other charities include nursing homes, beach clean up, and our middle school is currently raising money to build a local school in Cambodia.

Tanya & I - good friend & Luke's art teacher :) 
Ms. Shamani, Ms. Sue (Luke's PE teacher) and Adam  (KG2 teacher & Shamani's boyfriend :)
Me, Tanya, PJ and Angela
Dale, Andy, Lachlan & Adam
Adam with the lovely Ms. Christabel

Christabel & I ... this picture was for Luke :)
Had to share this... the boys have their "airplane bags" packed and ready to go home! Snacks included.


No comments:

Post a Comment