Monday, May 6, 2013

Elephant in the Room

You know how it feels when you're in a room and everyone is talking about something but you have no idea what they're talking about? That was me. Today. I went to the osteopath/acupuncturist and during the medical rundown he said, "you sound a little funny." To which I replied, "Well, yeah. My glands are really swollen and I have a massive headache." He was a bit concerned and asked if I had mentioned it to the doctor the other day. I hadn't, because in my mind they are two separate things and just a really crappy coincidence. He also asked if I was under a lot of stress.

"Nope." That was what came out.

What I was thinking was, "Stress. Are you freaking kidding me? I have two kids under 5, am a teacher to 22 little gems, and run a small business employing a helper at my house. Oh, and by house, I mean the 1200 sq ft concrete jungle ALL 5 OF US LIVE IN. If you knew my 2 year old, you would understand just how small that is. And I am definitely not stressed about the report cards, conferences, portfolios and MAP tests that are due in IN THE NEXT THREE WEEKS. And don't even get me started on the mommy guilt...." None of which I said, because I didn't want to appear stressed. Of course.

Throughout the night I've had some people at work checking in on me. In every email or text, they have somehow mentioned stress. Adam also mentioned stress.

Ahem.

I don't know if you all feel this way, but I certainly feel like I handle stress pretty damn well. Not so Adam tells me.

Well, we can agree to disagree.

 xo


*Note to anyone who has never had osteo/acupuncture work done. It hurts, it's tricky and it's NOT relaxing. I'll be going back Thursday. But not for my stress. 


No comments:

Post a Comment