Sunday, January 27, 2013

6 months in....

What happened to January? Geez the months fly here. Monday marked our 6th month in Singapore. In some ways it feels like we've been gone a long time, but mostly it seems as though time has flown by. We've experienced once in a lifetime vacations, deep homesickness, adjustments to new jobs and a new school, culture shock, frustrations with living in a small apartment, excitement in exploring new places and meeting some pretty wonderful people. But I think the thing that sticks out the most for me is how much we have grown as a family in just 6 months. An experience like this has made our little family unit so much closer. We have done hard things. Together. Luke has become independent in ways I never would have imagined. He is more confident, willing to take risks. Drew is a normal toddler, but has seen and done so much in his little life. People that look different or talk different don't phase them. Luke counts and speaks in English, Mandarin & Spanish. We talk about temples, different countries, different beliefs... and to them, all of this 'different' that we are surrounded by is normal. I love that.

Friday marked the end of the first semester at SAIS. My team went out for happy hour at the Hawker market down the street after work. We are a team that consists of 6 people who are completely opposite, but it works. We function, we learn from one another and we've got each others backs when things get tough. We are from the West Coast US, East Coast US, Virgin Islands, New Zealand, and India. I am so thankful for my team and what I'm learning from them.

Adam spent the weekend in Indonesia, golfing with 7 other guys. They had a great time and managed to play 35 holes on Saturday. I asked what his feelings are about our first 6 months in Singapore. His response was, "It's definitely been an adjustment. But it's been good. Certainly worth it." His favorite things about this experience are the travel, it's not cold, and the change in lifestyle. I didn't press for more. He's a bit "tired" from the fun this weekend.

We will be back in the states in 5 months. Exciting! Even more exciting is my mom and Denis' arrival in 10 days! I miss my mom beyond words. I miss her hugs, her calming presence and her voice of reason. I still get it through Skype, but it's not the same. I miss watching all of our parents interact with our boys. That's been a big challenge and certainly a void in all of our lives. We talk about our families and friends every day and because of Skype, faces are a constant presence. Thank goodness.

This weekend was simply wonderful. I spent almost every meal with a friend or group of friends and all the time in between with my boys. Adam got away, I had girl time and the boys did a ton of playing. The weather has been the best it's been in the entire 6 months we've been here. Warm, sunny and breezy. I hope it lasts for Ma & Ampa's visit. I read recently that February is the nicest month in Singapore. Fingers crossed.

Here's to the last week of January!

Grade 3 Team - Lucinda, myself, Shikha, Vanessa, Mia & Liz. Yep, we had fun celebrating...


No comments:

Post a Comment