Thursday, August 23, 2012

It's almost Friday!

What a week it's been! The first day of school can be summed up in one word. CRAZY. I literally walked up and down 5 stories all day. Between picking my kids up in the morning, taking them to morning recess, going to Specialists, going to lunch, and leaving for the day...the walking was constant. Passing time was not built into our schedule so classes have to be in two places at one time. In our instance, they needed to be picked up from lunch on level 2 at 1:30 and simultaneously at Art on level 4 (in a separate building on campus). Holy cow. After rethinking how we move about the campus and adjusting a few things on my own, day 2 made for a MUCH better day. It's still a challenge (and a lot of walking) but it's getting better and easier. I love my kids and the stories that come with them.

I have one little boy whose mom is from Finland and dad is from Denmark. However, they've spent the past 6 years in Shanghai. So he speaks Finnish, Danish, Chinese and English fluently. Pretty cool. Another boy I have is Indian, but was born and raised (until now) in England, and has a very cute English accent. I am finding that most of my students have an ethnic background that's very different from their nationality. I love their stories, their accents and their cuteness.

Luke has been LOVING school. His teacher, Ms. Christabel, is wonderful. He's met a little buddy whom he hangs out with often and Adam and I each see him at least once a day on campus. My kids go to lunch recess at the same time as Luke's class, so I'm able to see him then.

Adam hasn't had students/classes this week so he has been doing a lot of prep work for the year. He will start meeting with grade level teams next week and student groups on week 3. He has shown me some of the lessons he's come up with and I am impressed. He knows his stuff!

The toughest adjustment this week has been with Drew. He's had a few meltdowns in the morning as everyone goes off to school but him. It's heartbreaking to watch, as he eats breakfast with Luke, gets dressed with Luke, puts on his shoes, then doesn't get to go. Today we tried walking him in the stroller with us as we walked to school. Once we got to the entrance, Michelle (our helper) took him to the park to play. No screaming, no tears.  Crossing my fingers that continues to work. The meltdowns are soooo hard first thing in the morning.

Coming home to a homemade meal each night has been so nice. Michelle  is a great cook and we've enjoyed her meals. Having her also allows for Adam and I to be with the boys for the remainder of the evening. We go swimming, bike riding, or to the park. Lovely.

Below are some pictures from our day out last Sunday and a few from the first day of school. Looking forward to Friday and a weekend of fun!

At the Vivo City Mall, looking towards Sentosa Island (such a cool place!)
Cruise Ship was in, more of Sentosa in the background
 More Sentosa. Before taking this picture we had a nice Indian man ask to have HIS  picture taken wtih our boys. Too funny :)
Fun rides at Vivo City mall
Drew cruisin' in his Mini Cooper
Universal Studios in Sentosa. Didn't go, but hope to soon!
First Day of school :)


Ready for the school year to begin! 



5 comments:

  1. Love the family pic. That dress is super cute! Enjoyed reading about your first day!
    xo
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I bought it one night in the middle of a shopping area. Not like me, but I loved it. First day was more fun when we were together. :) I have very sweet kids though. Miss you!

      Delete
  2. Oh how I miss you, Adam and those sweet little boys! Give them a big smooch for me...well, maybe not Adam. :) love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feeling is mutual. Missing you and your family A LOT! love you too.

    ReplyDelete