Ahhhh..peace in this household! After 4 weeks of "trying to adjust" to the boys sharing a room, they are back to having their own rooms and we are back to early bedtimes, peaceful night's sleep and later wake up times. They just weren't ready to share a room peacefully...every night was a party for at least 30 minutes before they settled down. Then, the minute one would wake up in the morning, the other was awake by default. Problem solved.
I was reading one of my favorite blogs tonight (Momastery) and came across this quote within her post:
"...when you step away from all the extra stuff you’re left with the really important stuff. Your partner and your kids and yourself."
This resonated so much with me. Right now, at this time, so much so that I read it over and over and over again. It's no secret that the past week has been a hard one for me. I hit the homesick phase in a bad way and I'm starting to come out of it now. Seeing the light again. All it took was time alone with Adam, via a walk in the park for 45 minutes. Sorting things out, talking through frustrations, sadness and happiness.
Together we are choosing to focus on the positive. Not because we have to force ourselves and not because we're miserable and have to find something good. Simply because that's how we want to live out this adventure. Focusing on the gifts we have in our life and the ways this experience is changing us - for the better.
I continue to hold onto a quote I posted earlier in the month, "it's not wrong, it's different." It's gotten me through a lot of changes and it's helped me to realize that change is okay. It can even be good. You just have to embrace it and go with it.
Go with it. The humidy, the long work days with meetings and deadlines, taking a train to get from point A to point B, carrying groceries home, the lack of coffee, all of it. We moved here to live a life different than the one at home. We've gotten what we asked for and then some.
So at the end of the day, "when you step away from all the extra stuff, you're left with the really important stuff." Very, very true. I've got two sweet boys sleeping soundly and a husband sitting next to me who's got my back in every step of our journey.
It's about how you look at things in your life. I've always been a fan of pity parties, but then there comes a time to snap out of it. I've been snapped out and forced to decide how I want to proceed. I choose the positive route. Let the good times roll...
You are amazing! Your family is doing something not many families could do. The adventure your on will just make your family stronger:) Miss you!
ReplyDeleteGood advice for all of us!
ReplyDeleteRenee
I'm so proud of you Amy. I read you blog the last thing every night before I go to bed and wonder at your maturity, your sensitivity, your intelligence and your sweetness. We miss you so much, but we know that this is going to make all of you stronger--both as individuals and as a family.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Michelle. What a sweet note. We miss you guys to pieces! love you
Delete