Thursday, August 30, 2012

Where did the week go?

HONESTLY. The weeks FLY by here. I can't believe it's Friday tomorrow. Let me give you a glimpse of my days, Monday through Friday....

  • 7:15 Leave for work with Adam
  • 7:30 In classroom, getting ready for the day
  • 8:30 Out on playground to meet Luke (Michelle & Drew bring him) and get him off to his classroom. I LOVE this part of my day :) 
  • 8:45 Pick up my kids from playground - walk up to 5th floor (which is 7 sets of stairs, 13 steps each -YES I've counted. Too many times.)
  • In classroom teaching Math and having some iPad integration until 10:15
  • 10:15 Snack & Recess
  • 10:40 Pick kids up from recess (back up to the 5th floor)
  • From now until 12:40, I will have my kids anywhere from 40mins to 80mins. They have at least one "special" during that time 
  • 12:40 Recess & Lunch
  • 1:30 Pick up from lunch
  • From this time, I will have them anywhere from 80 minutes to 0 minutes (yep, that's right). Two days a week my kids have a double-block of specials so I don't see them from lunch until the end of the day. 
  • 2:50 Foreign Language (I'm always in a team meeting during this block. Oddly enough that was the same way I ended my day at Bonny Slope)
  • 3:30 Kids home - I stop by Adam's room to see Luke, hear all about his day, etc. He either hangs out in my room or stays with Adam. They leave at 4:30.
  • 5:30-6pm I go home


As you can see, the days are whirlwinds! Sorry to bore any of you non-teacher people, but I knew my BSE people would find this interesting. On any given day I have between 80 minutes and 120 minutes of prep. That's not including recess and lunch. However, I do have one duty 4 days/week and meetings, meetings and more meetings. It's intense and it's demanding, but it's life. It's a wonder when I look at my day and how little I really ever have my kids (I never have them for more than 80 minutes at a time) how I manage to teach them anything! Well...that still remains to be seen. It's also a wonder how I'm not out of there at 4:30 everyday. Oh well. I keep reminding myself, "they pay our rent, they pay our rent." Next week Adam will begin coaching basketball 3 days a week and I'll coach cross country one afternoon. Part of our contract is that we either coach or teach an after school class each quarter.

Beginning next week Adam will start working with students. I believe he starts off Monday morning with Kindergarten! He'll meet with every grade (kinder-5th) two times a week. He and his work wife (teaching partner) Deanna will plan all the lessons as well. BIG job, but someone's gotta do it. I know he's ready to get back to teaching. These three weeks have been a lot about data and lesson prep. Boring. I have liked his flexibility however. It seems I have a technology issue daily and he's always there to help me out.

Luke continues to love, love, love school. He has PE on Tuesdays and Fridays so those are his favorite days. He's made some friends (Owen, Catherine, and a name I can't pronounce) which we love to see. I will love it when all 4 of us are under the same roof for 3 hours a day.

Looking forward to a fun weekend ahead..... at this rate, Christmas break will be just around the corner!

No comments:

Post a Comment