Monday, July 30, 2012

What.A.Day.Part 2

Well, here's another new experience. Drew made an appearance at his first overseas ER this morning at 8am. He had been running a fever of 103/104 for the past 36 hours, so we felt it was time to take him in. A teacher at SAIS recommended a women's and children's ER to us, so Adam took him in first thing this morning, after a horrible night's sleep. He was an inferno! After a 9 hour stay there (and  blood tests, IV's and A LOT of waiting/napping) he left with a virus and a body full of more fluid. Turns out he contracted a virus here (not a big deal...they can be caught anywhere) and was also dehydrated (not surprising given the heat and his fever). Adam was amazing and spent the entire day with him while I hung out with Luke.

To keep my mind off the fact that my baby was in the ER, Luke and I headed out to get my physical taken care of at a medical center (pretty proud of my first time navigating the MRT around Singapore by myself), lunch out at our first food market, and then a (last minute) stop in Little India on our way home. After getting home we hit the pool and spent some time with another teacher and her two boys.

There were many moments today that I wanted to have a complete breakdown and I very easily could have. However, I knew I was in charge of Luke and had to pull it together and keep it light and fun for him. Given what Adam and Drew were dealing with, Luke and I did manage to have a great day together one on one. I love watching him be so independent at the MRT stations, exploring new places to eat (he still likes to stick with noodles), and seeing new sights.

We now have two boys tucked in bed and sleeping soundly. Drew was happy to be back home and was definitely doing better than when he left. I've heard from many moms that it's very common for little ones to get sick like this after a big move. Regardless, it wasn't fun and it certainly tested this mom. :)

Poor little bug, hooked up to an IV

Temple in Little India

Walking through the streets...so cool!


He loved these cows! This is where we ate lunch. You can see behind it, on the building is a surveillance system. Not just one camera watching you, but 6!  

Given the circumstances, we did have a fun day together....love this little man






9 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you. That must have been so hard. Glad he is better and home. You're a super star mom! Love you! Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet...I learn from great moms like you :) Love you too!

      Delete
  2. We are glad you all are doing great...thinking of you and loving following your adventures! Love, The Garrison's and Kylie too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Garrison's! Luke will smile BIG when I tell him Kylie is reading this :)

      Delete
    2. You will have to tell him I will show Mylie this too! LOL She asked about him the other day. She calls him her "New Friend from the Golf Course"...like she goes there everyday. :) Love you guys! The Garrison's

      Delete
  3. OH MY GOSH!!! Poor bug!! The pic of D in the ER breaks my heart!! But I'm so proud of how you all handled it. It is so fun to see how you're adapting to all the changes so well!! :) Love you guys!!
    ~Auntie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know...it breaks my heart too. He looks so helpless (and big!). Adam tried to bring home the 2 piece hospital outfit, but they said no. Bummer. It's cute :) Miss you Auntie!

      Delete
  4. What a whirlwind! Way to hang in there Mitchells! Glad the boys are all smiles now. Whew!
    Big hugs and kisses,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete