I am coming to realize how difficult leaving here really will be. While there are a lot of frustrations that come with living in Singapore, there are also a lot of really great things. One of those 'things' is my friends. When you move overseas and become part of an expat culture, you form friendships quickly. Much faster than happens at home. At home people are settled into their lives, have their own circle of friends, are a bit more resistant to letting people in, crazy busy, rushing from one thing to the next, and on and on. When you find yourself in a situation like this, you find many other people in the EXACT same situation. You've all left your safety net. You've said goodbye to a life that was comfortable and you are figuring out this new country/new school/new life JUST like they are.
Adam and I really enjoy the people we work with. We laugh a lot, get together on weekends, have brunch dates, spend Friday nights at Hawker centers, drink too much, stay up too late and talk about traveling to countries I never would have imagined I would visit. As the end of our year gets closer and closer (7 months away!) I find that one of the people I will miss the most is Tanya. She is a light in my life...really, all of our lives. She adores our boys, makes Adam's life more fun at work and is a constant source of laughter, support, love and reality for me. And because she's Australian, we don't understand half of what the other one is saying, which is likely why our friendship works.
She's introduced me to new words, our current favorite TV show, cream cheese with chili sauce, fancy cheese, foot reflexology, furniture stores.... I could go on and on. This week we celebrated her birthday and the JOY that she is. Here's wishing her wonderful year ahead...she deserves the best and we are so thankful to have her in our lives!
xx
 |
| Prepping for my first foot reflexology experience |
 |
| Last minute Mexcian dinner with too many margaritas. We got up and walked out, forgetting to pay. The waitress flagged us down in the middle of the mall. Awkward. |
 |
| Saturday night celebration |
 |
| With Libby, Lucinda, T and Jill |
 |
| We invited her over for birthday dinner - where she was quickly talked into art with the boys |
This post and all of the pictures made me smile. I love that, although it's difficult at times, you are making memories/friendships that you'll have forever. I love you guys and am thankful that you found a family of sorts over there to make your time so great. :) Countdown to Bali is happening! :) ~L
ReplyDelete