It's hard to believe we only have 5 school days left in the year! Luke and Vicki fly out next Thursday morning. ONE WEEK FROM NOW!! First stop upon getting off the plane is to pick up ELLA! We have been missing her like crazy. I must admit, I'm quite sad I won't be there for the first time those two see each other again. Drew, Adam and I will follow shortly after them to begin our long awaited summer vacation with family & friends!
What a ride it has been this year. We are feeling ready for a break from Singapore, Asia, the humidity, our tiny living space, the train, the humidity, work, school, the humidity, grocery stores in malls, taxi drivers that switch their light to "shift change" just so they don't have to pick you up, and did I mention, the humidity?
As Adam and I were on a walk the other night, I had the overwhelming desire to let it all out. I think I complained about EVERYTHING I could possibly think of. It's comforting to know it's not just us. When we talk to most teachers here, the feelings are all common. It's time to go home. We need the break, we need to be surrounded by the people we love & miss, and we need to recharge. Even though this place drives me crazy sometimes, I do know that we are leaving for summer holiday bettered by our experiences this year.
As I reflect on our first year here, I am thankful for so many things...
-The opportunity to travel to 6 countries so far.
-The opportunity to meet people from all over the world.
-Having a class of over 12 different nationalities.
-Forming fast and lasting friendships.
-Learning about the world and realizing that there are many right ways to do things.
-Learning to love my country and question my country.
-Growing professionally even when it's been hard. Really, really hard.
-Friends and family back home who reach out, connect, text, email, or call.
-Amazing thunderstorms. I love them.
-Several visitors to show around.
-An endless amount of newness.
-Amazing thunderstorms. I love them.
-Several visitors to show around.
-An endless amount of newness.
-Friends who understand what life is like on this journey.
-Gaining knowledge about an entire "expat" culture that we never really knew existed.
-Perspective. New perspective on so, so many things.
And finally, readers of the blog...THANK YOU for your kindness, laughing along with me and sometimes crying with me too. It's been a wild ride and this has been my outlet. Thank you for coming to the blog, honoring this space, and following the first half of our journey. I love that so many of you have told me, "I feel like I'm right there with you." Just watch out. I have a fierce throw when it comes to water bottles.
I've tried to be as honest as I can, with all the aspects I can be. I know it's been mostly from my point of view, but those who know Adam know that he wouldn't need a blog for his words. Just a napkin would do. I'll let him tell his side in person. :)
Can't wait to see everyone. Bring on SUMMER!
xo
Cant wait to see you!
ReplyDeleteYou too, Nads! See you for lunch SOOOOON. :)
DeleteI haven't been good at responding on your blog, but I have ready every one of your posts and sometimes I reread them. Reading them makes me feel close to you and I can hear you talking while I read. I can't wait to see you. Love you!-Renee
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing this journey with us -- the ups, the downs, and the in betweens. Sending massive amounts of love to you all. We are just giddy knowing that it's a mere days until we're together again! When I remind Wyatt of the Mitchells upcoming arrival he just cheers. :)
ReplyDeletexo!