Monday, March 11, 2013

Busting out of routine (hardly)

Hold on tight. Things have been craaazzzy here the past few weeks. Shaking up our everyday routine with a few of these little pieces of excitement:

-We are consistently running 3 miles! It's sad that I'm excited about three miles, yet it feels like such a sense of accomplishment at the same time. If anyone can find a sauna, put a treadmill in it, and run for 30 minutes, I'd love to hear about it and get some tips. Adam said his only goal for our 10K is "not to die." Seems reasonable.
-Luke & I walked to the store Sunday afternoon in a downpour and thunderstorm. Even the lightening was loud. I'll admit that I should have put the umbrella away, but at that moment, I had to choose between keeping our heads dry (the only part of our bodies that were still dry) OR chance the umbrella being struck by lightening. I chose our heads. Of course.
-We have joined many of our friends and are now watching Downton Abbey. Still on Season 1, but a great show. Singapore TV is terrible so it's nice to have another series to watch. For some reason, Adam doesn't consider the Kardashian's to be a series. Psshhh...

On Sunday we headed out for breakfast to try out a new place with Jill, Alex and Ella. In true Singapore fashion, we left here at 9:45am (PLENTY of time before the locals wake up), walked to the bus station, boarded a bus, hopped off to board another bus and realized 10 minutes into the ride that we were going the wrong direction. Apparently Adam knew this the ENTIRE time but was "kind" enough to keep his mouth shut. And here's the thing about me, I could still be on the damn bus and have no idea we were going the wrong direction.We then got off the bus and got on the train. Took the train to the closest stop to the restaurant we could find, got off, and grabbed a cab the rest of the way to the restaurant. Only to arrive and be told there was a 1 hour wait. Mind you, it was now 11am and naturally, Singaporeans were now eating breakfast. UGH! We then proceeded to get back into a taxi and had a lovely lunch at our favorite and usual place, Food for Thought in the Botanical Gardens. Yep, chocolate pancakes again. Two buses, a train, two cabs and lots of walking in between...such is life in Singapore!

The bumps in the road have subsided and to defend why I might sound like a crazy person, I refrain from discussing a lot of the bumps in depth. I don't feel the blog is an appropriate place to divulge work related issues. That said, it's a place to recount this journey we're on and the downs are very much a part of it. This week we're looking ahead, looking past what we can't control and doing the jobs we know we can do.

Adam goes to Chang Mai, Thailand next week to chaperone the Grade 5 field trip. Funny because I can't fathom flying to another country for a week long field trip at 11 years old. Again, such is life in Singapore!

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment