Sunday, November 25, 2012

What happens after family leaves...

This weekend has definitely been a tough one. Saturday and Sunday were filled with their share of tears, anger, frustration, homesickness and a strong desire to wrap my arms around everything familiar to me. Everything I left back home. I had a full blown temper tantrum (yep, 31 and admitting that) on my run Saturday morning. Threw my water bottle, collapsed into my knees and cried. I just wanted to go home. This journey is and has been about so much for us and working my way through these roller coaster of emotions is just one them. It took me a few days. I thought throwing the water bottle would get it out of me, but it was bigger than that. Darn. I did pull myself together and finish my run. Tears look like sweat in Singapore.

I think I finally crawled out of my hole about 2 hours ago. Knowing that Adam is feeling the same way  helps. As nice as it would be to know we could go home, we know that what we set out to accomplish isn't finished yet. It's not time to go home and we can't change the situation, but we CAN decide to make the best of our reality. Together we can do hard things. A dear friend of mine has always told me that I can do hard things, but for this, I need it to be "together." My husband, my boys, my family and my friends. I need every last one of those people. Skyping, emails, texts, it all helps more than you know. It reminds me that we are part of something SO MUCH BIGGER than our concrete jungle (apartment) in Singapore. We stretch the whole world wide and I am so, so, so, thankful for that.  

We decorated our Christmas tree this weekend. Some might say we stole Charlie Brown's tree, but it works. I have never sweated my butt off as I decorated a tree, nor have I said, "Boys, let's go swimming then we can decorate the tree." That's our reality and it works. It has to. 

Sending more love than you know back home.

2 comments:

  1. As much as we try to be strong here for you, know that we have the same feelings about your absence. We miss you--our friends, our buddies. Looking forward to finding that perfect house for you down the road. :)
    Love you times a million!
    -Lindsey

    ReplyDelete