And so the holidays begin...
This year it's different (I know I've said this before) because we know that this is our last set of holidays overseas. Tomorrow we will host a potluck dinner again for over 30 people. It will be similar to last year - people from several countries coming together to eat, laugh, drink and enjoy the friendships we have formed far away from our lives back home. Our kids will run in and out of the function room and between the pool, hot tub and play ground. We'll eat too much and constantly be reminded of all we have to be thankful for...
-Our health. My family is healthy and I am able to go to bed each night with that comfort, being reminded recently that in an instant, that can change.
-My friends & family both near and far. Simply put, I can't imagine my life without them.
-The connections with our family & friends back home. I never get tired of texts, email, pictures and phone calls. Never.
-Maricel, our helper. She is a gift. The boys adore her and we value her contributions to our family. She's friendly, gentle, and playful and we never doubt the care our boys are in when they are with her. She makes great meals for us, keeps the house clean and helps our lives run smoothly. No easy feat over here!
-The chance to see a part of the world that we never imagined we would see. Six countries and counting.
-Adapting to life and living it in another country. For this home body, I still have moments where I can't believe I'm here.
-My co-workers who keep me sane. Well, as sane as can be.
-Learning about different cultures and religions from the people on this side of the world, not just learning "about" this side of the world.
-Laughter. It's the same in all languages and all countries. It's the best medicine and has gotten us through a lot of tough times.
We are truly blessed as a family. We have so much to be thankful for and while we look forward to returning home at the end of the year, we know that we are blessed to be on this journey together.
To our families at home, I hope there's a spot at the table for us next year. We miss and love you all.
xo
No comments:
Post a Comment