This post will mark the LAST one from Cambodia. You think there's a lot now...wait until our winter break trip! :)
I have a final thing to share about Mr. Ta...
As I said in an earlier post, we talked a lot about his life as a young child, being forced out of his home by the Khmer Rouge. We also talked a lot about Cambodia and about the family he has now. At the third temple we visited, as we walked along an isolated path, I took the opportunity to ask him this -
"Mr. Ta. You saw so much sadness and hate as a young boy. How do you grow up to be a man who is so happy?"
His response-
"It is mostly because of my Buddhist beliefs. We believe that the past is the past. Things happen and we can't base our lives on them. We have to live for now and live for the future, not the past. Buddhism allows me to pray, live for today and be happy with what I have. Ms. Amy, I may not be rich. I am not a rich man. But I have family and a lot of friends. They make me happy."
Well said Mr. Ta, well said.
Thank you for teaching us about your beautiful country.
Wow, what a special man. This trip looks like it was pretty life changing. Love you guys and can't wait to hear more details! This post seriously just made me cry. :)
ReplyDelete~Lisa