I am honored to be the first guest blogger at Never Say Never! In reality, Adam was asked first, but I am the first to actually write as a guest!!
I came to Singapore on May 11th to take over The Helper position!! Having been here previously, I was somewhat familiar with life in Singapore. But, that was as a traveler and sightseer! This was going to be different. I moved in with the fam and Drew and I became roommates!!!
It has been interesting to actually experience day to day living in Singapore. So different than home, yet very adjustable. I walk alot. 2 to 3 trips a day to and from school, usually with a stroller housing 1 or 2 little boys, their backpacks, a toy or two, cold water, an umbrella, and a small towel to wipe the sweat off my brow and the entire rest of my body!!!! Often times I have my grocery cart and go from school drop off to the train station to head to the grocery store. I am definitely the oldest helper schlepping my little 4 wheeler around the store and the neighborhood. Then begins the trek back with a load. A couple of escalators, perhaps a lift (elevator), the train, the walk home. Throw in a load of laundry and head to school to get Drew. Home for lunch and nap. No, The Helper does not nap. Laundry, dinner prep, shower, computer time, etc. Drew up...perhaps a swim, play, sweat, etc. Sometimes off to get Luke at school, sometimes he comes home with Mom and Dad!!! Adam and Amy all home between 4:45 and 6 pm. Dinner is served! I have loved cooking for them.....I think so far all has been good. We have food from the hawker markets a time or two during the week, and at least once, sneak in a little old fashioned American grease from McDonald's!!!! Amy makes lunches for everyone, play time or pool time, ready for bed, and the boys are out by 8:30. My kitchen is clean. Clothes folded. I have usually had a glass of wine.....all is well in the world. I have had some time off of course.....A and A are pretty darn nice to their Helper.
Adam, Luke and I had a nice trip to Kuala Lumpur last weekend. We left Friday morning for the hour flight. By 12:30 we had flown, been on a bus, and a train to get to our hotel. We stayed In the center of Chinatown which is the center of the open markets, food stalls and lots of activity! We had lunch in a large open air restaurant full of various food stalls. Took a little snooze then explored a little more. Cabbed to the famous Patronis Towers of KL. Huge metal towers joined by a sky bridge. bottom floor very high end stores....office space above which we could not get into. large park, fountains, play area for kids, very green. Dinner at our hotel restaurant. Early night as Luke had a fever and needed a good nights sleep.
Saturday found Luke back to normal! We had the hotel buffet breakfast then got on the Hop On, Hop Off open air bus for a tour of the city. It was wonderful and so fun. We got out at the museum which was really interesting. There was a special showing of masks from around the world that was really interesting. We had the opportunity to take pictures at the palace of the King of Malaysia. lots of gold, guards on horseback, and his 85th birthday so it was a holiday. Lunch was at an open air restaurant...chicken and beef satay. it was great. We had dinner at a chicken restaurant which was really good. Luke had some new action figures that jumped off a rack into Nanny's hands so that was the evening entertainment before bed!!
Sunday found us packed up and in a cab heading for a water park before we flew home. It was a below average park and we did t stay as long as planned but Luke had a good time and that's what it was about!!! I tasted my first Durian in the form of a Popsicle. I couldn't find a place to spit it out fast enough. If you have the chance.....just say no and run the other way!!
Home with excitement to give treats to Mommy and Drew and a night of play!!
My thoughts on KL......very large. Horrible traffic....driving there would be a nightmare. Their mass transit system is mostly busses down very narrow streets! It is a very old city, and doesn't share the cleanliness piece that Singapore possesses. It is a Muslim country...so we looked totally like tourists...especially me with my hair and skin showing. Women were covered head to toe, some with just their eyes showing. At the water park, women are still covered head to toe in the water...no swimming suits. Even young girls wear shorts and shirts to swim in....no bathing suits. The humidity seemed lighter.....I hardly sweat!!!!
It was a fun weekend and great to spend time with Adam and Luke. Amy and Drew had a good weekend together at home enjoying being together. Amy has been working crazy hours so it was great for both of them to stay home together.
Singapore normal to me.....
Fabulous MRT train system for getting around Singapore
Humidity
Lots of walking
Not the best place to get your acrylic nails filled
Pool time as often as possible
Confusion on the sidewalks as to which side to be on, who moves and who doesn't
Humidity.....always a hand towel in my presence....even the cleaning lady said to me yesterday....you do sweat alot ma'm.....
Fabulous thunder and lightening storms
A gecko in the house
Missing friends and family back home and excitement when Facetiming
Construction and kid noise all day from the school
Getting to know all the wonderful people here. Very friendly at school and around. They have great friends here. They have all been very kind to me.
Chinatown dresses to buy
Fabulous mango smoothies
Drinking less coffee, less wine and more water ...
Living with my beautiful family and helping care for them....priceless. Falling asleep holding hands with a darling 2 year old....being Nanny, The invincible Nanny Power Ranger, and Naughty Nanny when Drew is not getting his way and sometimes losing my Nanny identity and just being the Helper.....soccer in the hallway, cartoons, super hero play, non stop chatter with the boys......and.....missing home where life goes on without me, missing The Dickster and Chloe and appreciating my life.
Adam and I talked the other night and agreed. It is fabulous to experience day to day living in another country, to become a native. But, it's nice to return home, where in so many ways, life is easier. I feel blessed beyond words to have had this opportunity. I feel honored to have been accepted in their home and trusted with my grandchildren. I am eternally grateful to Dick for the sacrifice he has made to be alone for this long......that is huge for him. Somehow we have been able to respect each others needs when it comes to travel.....he gets that I can't get enough and I get that he likes to be close to home more. And he also will do anything to be sure his kids and grands are safe and happy. And if that means being alone for awhile, he'll go for it. Thank God for FaceTime!!!!!!
Well, next week brings on the new Helper part time. I get to spend time with her in the mornings and show her the ropes. I hope she falls in love with this Mitchell Family and takes good care of them. She'll need to become a Power Ranger to stay on top of the dynamic duo!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment