Sunday, January 6, 2013

Hang on and enjoy the ride

I'm sure I'm not the only one that tries to fast forward time. I am so unbelievably excited to see our friends and family this summer that I catch myself wishing time away. My Mom and Denis come in 4 1/2 weeks. Then we have Spring Break. Then Vicki comes back in May. Then we go HOME for the summer. Having wonderful things to look forward to causes me to wish time away so the fun things will hurry up and come.

And oddly enough, as I'm wishing time away, I also find myself simultaneously trying to freeze time.

Luke and I went on a date today to the movies and lunch. We had a great time, just the two of us, and I found myself wondering...at what age will this not be fun for him anymore? I wanted to freeze that moment.

This afternoon Adam and I sat by the swimming pool as we watched Luke & Drew jump in, laugh, play and encourage each other to "jump brudder." I had tears in eyes (so sappy, I know) watching these two and the LOVE they have for one another. I wanted to bottle that moment up forever. Better yet, I wanted to be in that very moment forever. We were safe, happy, together and without a care in the world.

In the scheme of life, our time in Singapore is short. I need to remind myself to hang on and enjoy the ride. There will always be sideswipes and bumps in the road, but what I really need to hold onto are the wide open roads that leave us carefree and open to anything that comes our way. I don't want to spend my life speeding down the road so fast that I can't remember it. And God forbid I have my eyes closed.

We'll be home before we know it for 51 days of comfortable bliss. In the meantime, there's a journey that needs to be enjoyed. Luckily our family gets to pave the way for this one.

On a different note, I almost came home with a puppy today. That would have made for two new things: a puppy and divorce papers. I couldn't even get Luke on my side - "No Mom! I don't want a dog. We have Ella!!!" He AND my better judgement won out, but damn they were cute.

Ahem. A puppy is NOT part of the journey. I get that.

Here's hoping your New Year is off to a good start. I would have to say 2013 is looking pretty darn good...one day at a time that is.

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment