Saturday, November 3, 2012

Oh Singapore...

One thing I noticed here is when you go in for services (like getting your hair done), it's common to have many people waiting on you. I went to get my hair done today and one lady took me to my seat and put the apron/gown thing on me. Then came the colorist. She was amazing and worked her magic on my hair. When that was done, in swooped another lady who washed my hair. Then, my hair was dried and trimmed by a man, the 4th and almost final person. When I was done another lady escorted me to the front where I paid. Sheesh! No wonder things are so expensive. You're paying the wages of the 26 people who help you.  

Went to the doctor the weekend we got home from Bali. I had avoided the sickness all the boys had just long enough to get us through our vacation. Adam still wasn't totally back to normal, so he went in with me. Literally. We both went into the same exam room. In this room was the typical table, sink, gloves, etc., etc. but there was also something we're not used to seeing in that room. The doctor's desk. AND THE DOCTOR WHO NEVER GOT UP FROM HIS DESK. I actually had to "lean in closer" so he could take my temperature without having to get up. I knew I just needed antibiotics, so after I told him my symptoms and he took my temperature, he gave me what I needed and I was on my way. It was quite comical. Needless to say, we'll be taking the boys to the pediatricians at International World Medicine clinic. My fingers are crossed that those doctors stand up and walk around. 

When you've been here awhile, you start to say things that you haven't normally said before. Funny thing is though, it's not exactly "talking like the locals." We have such a mesh of cultures at SAIS, that I'm not really sure where all these sayings are coming from. I do know that I've caught myself saying "cheers!" instead of goodbye and this week Luke told me, "Mommy, Miss Christabel asked me to do something and I did it straight away!" 

And then there's Drew. He had had a GREAT week at school. So great that Michelle now drops him off and leaves. He comes home singing songs in Mandarin that none of us really understand, but they sure make him happy. It's like a switch has flipped with that little guy...we're eating him up! 

Below are some pics from the SAIS Halloween Spooktacular last night. It was a bit overwhelming for the boys, but they had fun. Adam spent Friday night and all day Saturday golfing in Indonesia with 5 other guys. The plan was to play 36 holes of golf today- we'll see if he makes it!
 

Our little ballers 
Having some candy with Ella
Luke and his buddy Owen

Luke & Miss Christabel - we love her! 

The boys "trunk or treating" - parents filled the parking garage with their decorated trunks. Kids went car to car to trick-or-treat. Interesting twist on it. 

One more week until our first visitors arrive. Can't wait to have Dick & Vicki here next weekend! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment