Saturday, October 6, 2012

Living on vacation

We are headed to Bali in 2 weeks. A dream come true for Adam and I,  yet just another trip for Luke & Drew :) The other day Luke asked me, "Mom, are we going to Malaysia or Bali first?" It stopped both Adam and I in our tracks. What a funny question to hear from a little guy - he asked it so innocently, yet when I think back to where we were just 3 months ago...wow life has changed.

Had a good week at school. Adam hit a bit of the "I want to go home" phase and I hit the "Holy crap we work hard over here" phase. Work hard and play hard I guess.

It's a very weird dynamic that our brains go through here. Life is good. It's really, really good. The boys are happy, we lucked out in finding a great helper, I love my students, Adam is getting experience with a job he's never had before, yadda, yadda, yadda. BUT- even with all of these really great things, we experience moments of sadness and longing for what we have back home. The people, Ella, and the things. And yet I know, when we do go back home, we'll experience sadness and longing for many things here. It's been life changing in three short months, I can't imagine it 19 more months from now.

Onto a way happier topic...Luke received his first Merit Award at their assembly this week! His teacher nominated him for "Taking Action" (which at a PYP school is a VERY big deal), because he took his learning from school and used it to create a story at home (with pictures and letters) and shared it with his class. He did this while hanging out in my room one afternoon. I had no idea it was something he learned in class, so I took a picture thinking "how cute is this!" and sent it to his teacher. She was thrilled to see a 4 year old take his learning home and do something with it.Way to go Luke!



Today is Saturday here and we went to yet another birthday party. Oh.My.Goodness. We have never seen a kid's party like this and probably will never see it again. Well, hopefully next year. :)

I'll explain the pictures...

Walking up to the house. Yes, that is part of the crew/security in front of Adam. 

At the front gate

Birthday boy and girl - Leandro turned 5 and his sister is turning 4. This was a joint party. I can guarantee if Luke & Drew had a joint party it wouldn't look like this.

Walked in the main entrance, past the 8 car garage (filled with fancy cars I can't spell or pronounce), into this HUGE tent. Like bigger than I've ever been in or seen for that matter. And it was air conditioned. Notice my hair is down...an attempt to classy myself up for such a big event. It lasted for 20 minutes.
Two...yes, TWO bounce houses set up inside. This was among the 25 adult (formal) dining tables, 20 or so kid tables, and the buffet tables that lined the perimeter of the tent. 
Luke's buddies - Catherine & Owen. They got their arms painted. 

Now we've moved into the side yard where they had a train and merry-go-round. This train had some speed too. 

Family picture (some of them) at the cake cutting. I think those were nicer cakes than our wedding cake. I am pretty confident they cost more too. 

After eating an unbelievably delicious lunch, and sipping champagne while the kids watched a clown perform, we were pooped! Here we are - the common folk - waiting for our cab to take us home. Where was the Bentley when we needed it???? Yes, these are the "goodie" bags. Toys-R-Us filled bags that were the size of Drew.

Tomorrow is Drew's birthday. Our sweet baby boy is turning 2. I hope he enjoyed the rockin' party we threw for him today courtesy of Leandro and his sister! :)

Love to all of our family & friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment